Monday, August 10, 2009

Fertility Issues and Surgery

I thought I may as well blog about this because it is probably something that you all would hear about one way or another anyhow.
I was with my sweet friend Shel on Saturday and was experiancing pain in my side (I had been feeling it for a couple days) and she suggested that I be seen. I got to Ben's Dad's (where my dear husband was) and asked him to take me to the ER.

We went to West Allis Memorial, and they had about a two hour wait in the ER. I was in so much pain that it was making me feel faint and nauseated. After waiting about two hours I started to feel better, and we decided to leave. The nurse said that she would have to charge us for a triage visit, and then something made her ask about the fact that I have had an ectopic pregnancy in the past. Yep. So, she asked "Have you tested for pregnancy?" Well, nope, I wasn't far enough in my cycle to even think of testing with an at home pregnancy test. SO, she suggested that we check and then she would let us go. We waited all of about 10 minutes and she came in and told me that it was positive. So, eventhough the ER was super booked, they made a makeshift wall in their hallway so they could give me a scan. They couldn't see anything but did all sorts of testing, started an IV line, got me in a room, did a pelvic and everything. They ordered a formal ultrasound. The sonographer lady was awesome. She informed us though that there was pretty much no point in looking because my HcG hormones were so low. So, they discovered that I had an unusual amount of fluid in my pelvis. Great. So, the doc ordered that I stay over night and that they re-draw blood the next day to see if the levels went up (they should at least double). So, I spent the night in the hospital with no pain at all.
The next day the doctor himself came in and explained that the numbers had not doubled and had actually gone down which means that I was having an unsuccessful pregnancy. We discussed my options and he told me that the fastest would be a laproscopic surgery (three incisions in my abdomen) and a D&C. We went ahead with that. So, I had two procedures and have spend the last couple days recovering in the hospital. Today they discovered that my HcG had gone back up. Not good. So they had to give me a shot and ordered me to come in to their office (which is now 4.5 hours from where I live) to have the physician that cared for me check me over.
I am happy to be home at Grams now. Sad that I missed my birthday party. Sad that we have had another unsuccessful pregnancy, but thankful to be home with my beautiful kids and heading upnorth tomorrow with my parents and family. Things will get better soon I am sure, but for now I ask for your prayers.

3 comments:

andy stenz said...

praying for you sista.

M,K,E,N said...

Hugs honey.

Tracy said...

I am sorry to hear you had to go through this emotional roller coaster. I am praying for ya.