Friday, April 18, 2008

Water Bottle Soapbox

Kelly and I had a good conversation yesterday about water bottles... you are probably thinking ?What? Water bottles? Yep, that's right! So, it has been in the news lately (on Oprah as well as the Today show) about the safety of reuseable water bottles. So, anyhow, I decided to look into it a bit. I found a few things that I never knew before about the safety of water bottles. I know now, that it is the best choice to use glass (always!) if you can... Because plastic bottles (yes guys even Nalgene bottles!) are not safe. They leech chemicals into the water that you are drinking... sooo wierd.... So the peops out there that read my blog (Trac, and Andy is specifically who I have in mind) I am kind of concerned. So, the translucent ones are apparently the worst, but it really goes based off of the number that is in the recyclable triangle on the bottom of the bottle. Here is a list of the ones that are not ok, and the ones that are... http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/101/plastic Anyhow, yesterday Kelly threw away her Journey water bottle (they don't have a number on the bottom, are translucent, and also are not squeezable, which indicates that they have a certain chemical in the plastic that makes it hard..) I just wanted to post a bit about my findings because I thought it was really really important. Especially important because it is soooo good for you to drink water, which I haven't really started doing since the Stoak's visit (thanks Kel!) So, it is really interesting/worrisome about this issue, at least to me because my children are drinking out of cups that have a 7 on it! Oh my gosh! so, I am not sure what to do about the sippy cup issue at this point because I need to use them... (Any suggestions anyone?) So, I just got Adalai a brand spankin new sippy that was near $6, so my plan for now is that I refridgerate when she isn't drinking (as I have learned the chemical leaking happens most with room temp/warm liquids), and wash really really frequently... I was thinking of buying a Kleen Kanteen they have different sizes, so I could get tiny ones for the kids, and a larger one for myself, but the cost of these are an issue, or a Sigg bottle, those I think are more cost efficient... I am going to look into it a little closer in a bit, but they are made from I think like Stainless Steel which looks like a wise switch! On one of the forums I read a woman suggested for use while you are out of the house, that she carries around a washed out Snapple bottle (glass) instead of a plastic bottle that could leak chemicals... Seems that it is even a safer choice then some of the reusable water bottles to just rinse out a water bottle that you would buy at the store w/ water in it, like Smart Water, or like Aquafina... Because most of them are the most easily recycled and have a 1 in the triangle on the bottom, which is good. The only thing that one of the webisite cautioned with that, is that since they can't be sterilized, like in a dishwasher (melts), that most people don't get them very clean, which leads to more of a bacteria issue. Oh geeezzzz... Anyhow, I will get off my soapbox about this, I just have found a few things that I thought would be worth sharing, since the primary chemical that is mentioned in this bisphenol-A, is a possible carcinogen (cancer causing)... So, super imporant! Also can mess with fertility and such...
Anyhow, go green! ;)

2 comments:

M,K,E,N said...

Hey, very interesting. This is why I use the brand NUK. that's the sippy I had for E while you were here. I haven't cared so much for myself tho, so a good reminder!

andy stenz said...

that is crazy stuff! perhaps jess and i will get the whole infertility thing, then we don't have to worry about it ;-)

i heard something like this a long time ago, which is why we stopped reusing any generic bottles - but i had always heard that the nalgene sorta bottle were healthier.

wow - i just checked and nalgene's site has posted a statement they are phasing out certain bottles (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/) - i've been drinking from mine for 8 years! (and we use them almost daily now!)

i think we'll have to get some new ones...

thanks sara.